Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Chi-town

I went for a whirlwind 2.5 day trip to Chicago to see if it was my kind of town. Turns out, it is. It's really pretty great here. There's a theatre on every other corner as well as museums and culture galore. I love it!!!

This morning I just happened to be walking by the Theatre School at DePaul University and noticed that they were putting on a production of "Alice in Wonderland" so I decided to buy a ticket despite the busloads of kids being herded into the theatre. It was actually a very enjoyable performance and they had some cool puppet effects for the cheshire cat. I love seeing different interpretations of the show. It's just very clever.

I feel like walked thru the entire town today(well it felt like it anyway). I got to see the giant shiny bean at Millenium Park and walked down to the ginormous Field museum to see my girl SUE(the biggest T-Rex ever found!) They have a replica head on her skeleton because her head is too heavy to place on it. If you go upstairs they have her head in this glass container and it is sooo crazy bizarre to look at. It's kind of smashed in and she's missing teeth and stuff. They have a bunch of taxidermy-like animals at the museum. Every corner I turned around had some kind of furry life-like creature staring back at me while posed in some kind of forced position. It was weird but cool I guess. I just hoped the animals died of natural causes and not because they needed to fill space in a museum.

To round out the evening I had to go see a performance at the Second City. The mainstage players were performing in "America All Better"(I think that was the name) and it was pretty funny with lots of Obama references and current topics like the economy and blogjavich or however you spell his name. After the first 2 acts the players surprised us with a third round of all improv, which was great. It also made me aware of how I could definitely be up there with them performing. I'm thinking that I'm capable of bringing some good improv stuff to ye olde improv table...or something like that. This show fueled my improv fire.

1 Comments:

At 10:04 AM , Blogger Justin DLC said...

Very cool, I'm glad you enjoyed the trip. I have a need to go on a prolonged vacation somewhere and keep a travel blog. My friend is doing it in New Zealand now, and I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO jealous. Someone else I know went to NY, but he stopped blogging. There must be, like, things to do in NY besides be on the internet.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home