Saturday, November 27, 2004

Water Water Everywhere...

Funny story. I was over at my friend Misty's house last night eating dinner when this guy shows up to do a water softening product demo for Misty and her husband. I guess their friend had signed them up for it in order to win a gift certificate or something. Well the guy starts demonstrating how "gross" florida water is by doing tests to show how much chlorine and minerals are present. He tells them that they have really hard water and hard water has been linked to rectal cancer and other ailments. So we're listening to him and having fun doing the tests and laughing and being goofy. Stupidly, we think this shpeel will go on for like 20-30 minutes.

3 HOURS LATER HE IS STILL THERE and he is hyping his ionic water softening system by reading from a binder. He goes around and starts cleaning stuff with his "soft" water. He cleaned 2 mirrors and their tiles! Then he took a freshly laundered washrag, wet it down, squeezed the water out of it and showed that there was still some soap in the rag. So I said "Remind me never to drink water that I've squeezed out of a dish rag again!" Then he starts to namedrop saying "Nasa uses us!" and GE just merged with us.

Finally, he sits us all down and goes over the pricing. The funniest part is when he starts by saying he is NOT a salesperson and he's only trying to help us out. Baloney. Turns out the system is like $6000. He keeps saying you're saving so much money, etc, etc. And here's the kicker. The deal is good for one night only. Surprise surprise surprise! So Misty and Robby say they have to think it over and they would have to call the company back if they were interested. They stated that they do not make $6000 dollar decisons on the spot. So then he get's a bit testy and says "What's the problem?? Is it the price??" and Misty is like "Yeah, thats part of the problem." At this point he GETS ON THE PHONE and pretends to call his "supervisor"(it's now around MIDNIGHT, mind you) to see if he can lower the price. Who calls their supervisor at midnight?? I ended up leaving the room and he starts talking really loud to his "supervisor" and makes another ridiculous offer thats like 5 dollars cheaper and again it gets rejected. DUH. So then he starts talking on the phone again and saying garbage like, "I know we're the best company" and "I know our product is superior but they have to think it over". So he won't leave. This goes on for about 25 minutes. He is so obviously stalling. Then he proceeded to be rude to Misty and Robby saying crap like, "you're indecisive after I showed you a three hour demonstration? What's the problem? What's to think about? You want clean water don't you???" Tina has had it by now and chimes in because I am totally disgusted with the pushiness of this jerk, so I say, "I have a suggestion, Why don't you tell people the price before you do your demonstration???" That shut him up and he went into the other room to talk to "Mr. B." The supposed inventor of the system!!!! Robby forgot that there was a very pointy knife on the table so he nonchalantly went in there and pretended like he was clearing things and grabbed the knife and hid it. Hahaha! We thought he was never gonna leave and we were gonna be stuck with this psycho freak! Then Misty calls her sister and I think that freaked him out so he's like "Mr. B, I gotta go, I'm being kicked out of the house!!" Then after all that crap, he's like, "I understand that you have to think about it and i would do the same thing." Liar!!!! It took him like 2 minutes to unpack everything when he got there and 30 minutes to pack it all up. Imagine that! So he finally left after 25 minutes of stalling!!

Tina's warning of the Day: DO NOT AGREE TO A HARD WATER DEMONSTRATION!

2 Comments:

At 4:30 AM , Blogger Brandon said...

Yecch. If somebody tried to do that to me I'd bill them for the time I spent listening to them. Of course they wouldn't pay it, but it would make me feel a lot better about beating them up.

 
At 12:24 AM , Blogger Justin DLC said...

I'm SURE an entire state's water is significantly linked to rectal cancer. I's probably choose that over a three hour demonstration, anyway. Probably.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home